Installation on MacOS¶
- You need at least
MacOS 10.13.4. Older versions have issues with the new Docker disk image, and can cause file corruption.
- MacOS Catalina (10.15) isn't tested yet, so it's not recommended to update if you're on
- 4 GB RAM allocatable to Docker
- at least 10 GB disk space on SSD allocatable for Docker
minimal docker version
The minimum required version is
Docker for Mac 18.06.0.
Previous versions have serious performance penalties.
- Download the latest stable Docker Desktop for Mac release (currently 220.127.116.11) and install it.
- Do NOT create an account or log in to Docker if you don't need it for another tool.
Launchpad doesn't need it, and it has no benefit creating one.
- Configure it (Click on the whale in the toolbar and click on
- Ensure the Disk format is
raw(see the extension at the end of the
Disk image locationline)
- If you installed Docker before and the disk form isn't
raw, click on
resetin the right corner, and choose
Reset disk image.
Verify afterwards the disk format actually changed.
- Allocate 4GB RAM for Docker to run smooth.